Headaches are one of the most common complaints affecting approximately two thirds of people at some stage in their lives.
There have been over 200 different types of headache described, and many of these come about because of more than one contributing factor. As a result each headache has its own uniqueness.
The main headache types experienced are:
- Arthritis- pain at the back of the neck and worse with movement
- Chronic daily headache- a global head pain and general feeling of being unwell
- Chronic migraine
- Chronic paroxysmal hemicranias- short duration and frequent bouts
- Cluster headache- acute attacks which may be episodic or chronic
- Post traumatic headache
- Temporalmandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction- relating to the movement and muscles of the jaw
- Tension type headache
- Vestibular migraine- often associated with vertigo
Headaches may be present in many different areas including behind the eyes, eyebrows, temples and back of the head and neck. There may only be pain on one side of the head or may be ‘band-like’ across both sides.
Some main features of a headache/migraine
- Decreased range of movement
- Facial and forehead sweating
- Discomfort due to light or sounds
- Blurred vision
- Pins and needles
- Speech disturbances
Physiotherapy is an excellent avenue for headache relief and treatment. Our skilled physiotherapists will be able to assess your symptoms, diagnose, treat and put a plan in place to get those headaches under control!
For more information head to: headacheaustralia.org.au
Call our office today on 8331 1557 to make an appointment with one of our physiotherapists to see how we can help with your headaches.