Aim Exercise Physiology’s ‘defeat depression – beat the blues’ program helps people manage or recover from anxiety and depression. It provides support, education/guidance for healthy lifestyle choices, (e.g. suitable activity or exercise modifications), positive exercise experiences and implementation of personalised plans to help ensure long term success with goal attainment for improved quality of life. Programs are run by our Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP’s) who have developed an evidence-based strength and conditioning program that is tailored to suit your individual needs, taking into account your condition, preferences and access to suitable exercise equipment and space. Our AEP’s deliver personal training or group training at both of our exercise studios and liaise with your other medical and health providers to ensure optimal results
Research shows a significant link between exercise and improvements in mood. Exercise is now commonplace in the treatment of mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety. Mechanisms for this link are well estabilished and understood. Lifestyle interventions targeting both the prevention of sedentary behaviour and adoption and maintenance of physical activity are warranted [Schuch et al. 2017]. Physical activity interventions are now seen as essential components in recovery from mental illness [Rosenbaum et al. 2015].
- Obtain medical history and understanding of past and present physical activity participation.
- Obtain relevant functional / health outcome measures to identify strengths, weaknesses & progress.
- Interpret fitness levels (normative data) to help you understand of the role of exercise for your condition.
- Design and implement tailored studio exercise and home-based activity / exercise schedule
- Set up physical activity monitoring.
- Plan suitable schedule for further one-on-one exercise consultations, group exercise classes and reviews.
Initial 40 minute consultation and follow up 30 minute consultation with the therapist who will:
- Review medical history, current/past exercise and activity
- Work with you to provide personalised recommendations and strategies to improve your food choices
- Assess relevent movement and functional abilities.
After the Initial assessments, there may be a need or want for further individual sessions with either the Exercise Physiologist or Physiotherapist. Factors such as complex medical history, poor motivation, slow progress and adherence, low confidence, poor exercise technique/control, de-conditioning and self-consciousness could be reasons for further one-on-one exercise sessions or private consultations, until you feel ready to attend classes.
- Groups classes offer more exercise/equipment access at lower cost than one-on-one sessions.
- 2-7 clients per class ensures close supervision for safety, good technique and progression.
- Each participant has an individual program tailored to specific health and wellbeing goals.
- A relaxed exercise environment where individuals can work at their own pace.
- Follow-up consult includes review of outcome measures, goals, experience, progression and upgrading.
Initial Assessment: EP visit 1: 60 minutes – $130 EP visit 2: 30 minutes – $70
Physio visit 1: 60 minutes – $130 Physio visit 2: 30 minutes – $70
Follow-up consultation: (subsequent or review consult if required) EP or Physio: 30 minutes – $70
Group exercise: $21/ session; Concession $19; PHI rebates apply*; Package & Membership discounts avail.**
++ Medicare’s EPC plan, Diabetes care plan & Dept. of Vet Affiars (DVA) funding / rebates apply.
*Please note that most private health funds cover Exercise Physiology & Dietitian services – check with your fund for the specifics of your policy & the rebate you are entitled to. All of our clinics / exercise studios have a HICAPS machine for on the spot rebate claiming.
No Doctor’s referral is required for private patients. A Doctor’s referral is required for eligible services under Medicare’s EPC or Diabetes care plan, Dept. of Vet Affiars (DVA) or RTW-SA.