What is a Pre-Employment Functional Assessment?
A Pre-Employment Functional Capacity Evaluation [PFCE] or Pre-Employment Functional Capacity Evaluation Assessment [PFCA] is a brief, screening assessment, focussed on an individual’s physical capacities, in relation to safe performance of the critical demands of a proposed or existing job role.
Benefits of Pre-Employment Functional Testing
- Cost effective hiring: Research shows a building evidence-base for the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of PFCE’s in the management of risks associated with employment and workforce health and safety.
- Hire the right person for the job: A well-conducted PFCE process helps to identify job candidates who can safely perform the required work.
- Reduced work injury and rehabilitation costs. There is a limited, but building evidence base supporting improved injury prevention and management with successful PFCE processes.
- Identify and manage risks: For many companies like AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY and WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS, their employees are their greatest asset. Great employees lead to great business returns, not to mention have a positive impact on workplace culture. Successful PFCE processes help employers to ensure that their new employees are going to be assets rather than injury-prone liabilities.
- Better accommodation of disabilities where reasonable and required, PFCE’s allow identification of an individual’s functional deficits that can be appropriately managed by a range of strategies, including allocation of suitable tasks, duties, facilities and services, should you wish to pursue employment.
Safety and Risk management
All PFCE’s performed by AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS meet the standard of having:
- Taken reasonable precautions to protect the health and safety of the individual being assessed.
- Met all legislative requirements relating to assessment, employment and task allocation processes.
Validity and Reliability
Most clinical tests of human performance (e.g. range of motion) have little correlation to an individual’s safe functional capacity for work and their risk of injury with work performance.
Assessment components and processes included in the protocol used by AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS are justified by the requirement for a job applicant or existing employee to demonstrate the ability to safely perform physical requirements of the required work. In each individual case, the composition of the test itself is tailored to be: (1) job-related, (2) consistent with business necessity, (3) safe for testing & (4) evidence-based.
It is standard practice for AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS to develop job specific functional testing protocols. Job-specific functional assessments can be developed on review of your company’s existing Job Dictionary.
In the event that a suitable Job Dictionary or Job and Task analysis is not available or that the existing documents do not provide the appropriate objective information from which job specific testing paperwork can be devised, AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS can assess the work and document the inherent job requirements. This will ensure that employment decisions are based on up-to-date job information and that the process is compliant with legislative requirements, and therefore robust and legally defensible.
Experience and Expertise
As a specialist in Occupational Health Physiotherapy, with 25 years working as a physiotherapist, Richard Fuller has extensive experience and recognised expertise in providing tailored PFCE solutions for employers in a wide range of industries. Richard and his team can develop and implement cost-effective programs that reduce injury, health and safety risks and associated cost to businesses.
Call us to today to discuss our fees for Pre-Employment Functional Capacity Evaluations and to understand how a small investment in your recruitment and employment processes can benefit your business!
Want to Discuss Things Further?
We understand that every company has their own specific needs. We would love the opportunity to meet with you and understand your business requirements.
If you would like a meeting to learn how partnering with AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS can help keep your employees healthy, safe and productive, please call us on (08) 8331 1557.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the assessment take?
Depending on the level of assessment, most Pre-Employment Functional assessments take between 30 and 60 minutes.
Who is the assessment performed by?
Assessments are performed by one of our expert therapists – see website for details.
What industries are using Pre-Employment Functional Assessments?
There are many industries that can benefit from using a pre-employment functional assessment, the main industries in Australia using these services are:
- Aged Care
- Oil & Gas
- Building and Construction
- Transport and logistics
- Councils and shires of Australia
- Retail and warehouses
Where do AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS conduct Pre-Employment Functional Assessments?
AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS are a provider of Pre-Employment Functional assessments. AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS can arrange a Pre-Employment Functional in locations around Australia and in New Zealand.
In Adelaide, AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS conducts Pre-Employment Functional assessments in the following locations:
AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS
Toorak Gardens Clinic,
363 Greenhill Rd,
Toorak Gardens SA 5065, Australia
What are the Operating Hours?
Pre-Employment Assessments can be completed during the hours of 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (ACST), Monday to Friday.
AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS’s bookings and results personnel are available and will attend to all enquiries between the hours of 7:30 am to 5:30 pm.
AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS understand however that at times you may require services to be conducted outside of these hours including weekends, especially during times of high operational need and/or recruitment. AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS are able to accommodate such needs on request.
How can bookings be made?
We understand that you may prefer a certain method of making your pre-employment bookings. For this reason, AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS offers a number of ways to make a pre-employment booking including:
Should you wish to make your pre-employment bookings over the phone please feel free to contact one of our booking consultants on 08 8331 1557 – Phone bookings can be made between our normal business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30AM – 6:30PM).
Why Use AIM PHYSIOTHERAPY AND WORK HEALTH SOLUTIONS?
We provide goal oriented and outcome driven Pre-Employment assessment that are:
- Prompt and Timely
- Communication Focused
- Programs that are Specific to your Needs
- Objective and Evidence-Based
- Proactive and Self-Managed
- Cost Effective