Aim Exercise Physiology’s ‘CANCER + CHEMOTHERAPY exercise’ program is a specialised exercise and lifestyle program with the goal of delivering optimal, cost-effective, quality care to individuals who are undergoing treatment for cancer.
We offer a structured program that includes exercise, psychological and social support. Programs are run by our experienced team of Exercise Physiologists, Dieticians and Psychologists who have developed an evidence-based ‘cancer + chemotherapy exercise program’ to suit your individual needs, taking into account your condition, preferences and access to suitable exercise equipment and space. Our Accredited Exercise Physiologists deliver personal training or group training at both of our exercise studios. Speak to our Accredited Exercise Physiologist to find out how cardiovascular and strength or resistance training could help you!
The health professionals who make up our ‘cancer + chemotherapy exercise program’ include your doctor, an exercise physiologist, a nurse, a dietician or nutritionist, and a Psychologist.
- assesses each person’s individual risk factors for heart and blood vessel disease
- teaches and supports healthy lifestyle changes, including weight control, establishing a heart-healthy diet, quitting smoking, and avoiding second-hand smoke
- develops a personalised exercise plan for each person, then helps get that plan started and shows how to integrate exercise into daily routines
- monitors and helps control blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar
- assesses psychological problems, such as depression, related to heart disease and provides counselling
- helps people learn from and aid others with similar heart issues
Improves people’s communication with their doctors and other health care providers
Key features + benefits:
- Optimal technique instruction + supervision by experts in weight-training exercise.
- Expert program development and exercise progression.
- Access to high-quality, specialised exercise equipment and dedicated space.
- Optimal results through access to specialised cardiovascular and strength training equipment.
- Optimal progress through supervision, upgrades, encouragement, motivation and support.
- Optimal safety due to technique supervision, guided program upgrading and recovery techniques.
- Optimal commitment and adherence to your exercise program.
- Fast progress and results – your gateway to safe, independent exercise at home or at your local gym.
Attending one of our exercise studios for supervised group exercise classes will reinforce correct techniques, improve motivation, and allow optimal and pain-free progression of your exercises.
Initial assessment & treatment plan (60mins – Cost $130)
Your Exercise Physiologist will assess any physical and functional limitations associated with your pain, osteoarthritis or injury. A tailored treatment plan will be developed and initial home exercise prescribed. Depending on your personal circumstances, a subsequent appointment may be required.
Home & studio program development (60min – Cost $130)
Individualised home and studio based programs will be prescribed in accordance with your needs and stage of rehabilitation. This will involve a combination of weight bearing, Pilates and gym equipment exercises.
Supervised group exercise (12 x 60min – Cost $252)
Attendance can be twice weekly for 6 weeks, or once per week for 12 weeks. All classes are supervised by an Exercise Physiologist or Physiotherapist. You are guided and monitored in each class and progressions are made throughout. Reassessment and review is advised at 6 and 12 weeks.
‘Health Age’ Assessment: $145 [60 minutes]
‘Body Composition’ Analysis: $90 [optional extra – see our ‘Body Composition Analysis’ info sheet ]
++ PHI, Medicare’s EPC plan, Diabetes care plan & Dept. of Vet Affiars (DVA) funding / rebates apply.
*Please note that most private health funds cover Exercise Physiology & Dietitian services – check with your fund for the specifics of your policy & the rebate you are entitled to. All of our clinics / exercise studios have a HICAPS machine for on the spot rebate claiming.
No Doctor’s referral is required for private patients. A Doctor’s referral is required for eligible services under Medicare’s EPC or Diabetes care plan, Dept. of Vet Affiars (DVA) or RTW-SA.