Our ‘Optimal Health + Fitness program’ is a comprehensive training program designed to help you become the best you can be. This program offers professional assistance focussed on taking your lifetime health + fitness or your athletic performance to the next level. Collaboration from our Exercise Physiologists (EPs), Dieticians, Physiotherapists (PTs), Massage therapists and Pilates instructors will deliver the ultimate training program and optimal support to help you achieve your goals. You’ll learn how to train like an athlete!
Whether it be for maximising your sporting potential and achievement as a professional athlete, supporting your performance in local sports competition and social activities (e.g. triathlons, marathons, fun runs, ‘tough mudder’, ‘ninja warrior’, power lifting), optimising your lifetime health outcomes or maximising lifestyle options for your work, hobbies, travel and leisure time activities, we can provide you with the ultimate program to help get you in shape and on top of your game.
With our ‘optimal health + fitness program’ you will be provided with all the tools necessary to achieve your goals and to be ready for you chosen event or season. The program includes:
- Comprehensive EP assessment including medical history and past /present exercise participation.
- Comprehensive PT assessment (where indicated) for existing injury or pain problems
- Pre-exercise screening to optimise exercise safety and provide an accurate ‘health snapshot’ and computation of your ‘health and fitness age’ for comparison with your true biological age and risk factors for chronic condition development. We use a unique evidence-based, computerised ‘health screening tool’ developed by a leading team of Australian exercise physiology and health promotion experts for this.
- DEXA Body composition analysis (optional extra).
- Dietician assessment and advice regarding adequate diet and implementation of personalised plans helps to foster healthy lifestyle choices and ensure success with goal attainment and quality of life.
- Fitness testing (strength, endurance, agility, balance, flexibility & cardiovascular) to obtain functional fitness / health outcome measures for future comparison and determination of individual strengths and weaknesses.
- Interpretation of functional fitness levels (normative data).
- Set up physical activity monitoring, including training diary for weekly monitoring of programs and an overtraining / motivation tracker.
- In accordance with your budget and exercise preferences, we will design and implement the ultimate tailored exercise program for you, including a mixture of:
(i) Personal training sessions.
(ii) Supervised group exercise sessions or private classes in our rehab gyms / exercise studios.
(iii) Specific Pilates or stretching classes + group exercise sessions run by our team of experts.
(iv) A home-based exercise schedule suitable for your goals and exercise preferences.
(v) A range of structured recovery strategies and techniques.
- You may choose our optimal personal training package for your program, offering you 1:1 support & supervision from a highly qualified exercise professional – the ultimate personal trainer when you exercise!
- Your tailored program will involve a range of functional exercise components and exercise approaches in accordance with your goals and preferences, including:
(a) High intensity interval training (HIIT) for cardiorespiratory fitness + weight management.
(b) Endurance (aerobic) training for cardiorespiratory fitness, stamina + weight management.
(c) The Pilates method of exercise for core stability, balance, flexibility and proprioception.
(d) Plyometric training for power, speed and agility.
(e) Weight (resistance) training for gaining lean muscle mass, strength + weight management.
(f) Sports-specific exercise.
12. Periodic re-testing of health + fitness outcome measures to check progress, goal setting & motivation.
- Optimal technique instruction and supervision by experts in athletic performance and training.
- Expert program development, exercise progression and recovery techniques.
- Access to high-quality, specialised exercise equipment and dedicated exercise space.
- Optimal results through access to specialised strength and conditioning equipment.
- Optimal progress through supervision, upgrades, encouragement, motivation and support.
- Optimal safety due to technique supervision, guided program upgrading and recovery techniques.
- Optimal commitment, performance and program adherence.
- Fast progress and results – your gateway to safe, independent training.
- Learn how to train like an athlete!
- PHI, Medicare and DVA funding / rebates*
- Cost saving memberships are available – speak to one of our team to find the best option for you.
12 weeks minimum.
- Week 1: Intake assessments including goal setting + selection of training components / options
Develop Home exercise program + Gym / studio exercise program components
- Week 2: Fitness measures
Periodisation of programs for progressive overload (3 stages)
- Weekly: Home exercise + Gym / studio exercise in accordance with goals
- Fortnightly: 1:1 to check program + technique + exercise monitors/trackers
- Week 6: Retesting + goals + motivation + progress
- Week 12: Retesting for progress, preparation + readiness.
Plan suitable schedule for further 1:1 consultations, group exercise classes and reviews if required.
Initial EP assessment & treatment plan (60min – Cost $130)*
Assessment of symptoms, movement & functional limitations. A tailored treatment plan is developed in conjunction with the Physiotherapist. Pre-exercise screen is performed & initial home exercise prescribed.
Follow-up consultation: (subsequent or review consult if required) EP: 30 minutes – $70
Initial Dietician assessment
Initial 50 minute consultation and follow up 30 minute consultation with the Dietitian who will:
Review medical history, current/past eating habits, food choices, 3-day food diary & cooking practices
Work with you to provide personalised recommendations and strategies to improve your food choices
Ensure daily energy intake & food choices are appropriate to your goals.
Initial PT assessment (where indicated for existing injury or pain problems)
Physio visit 1: 60 minutes – $130 Physio visit 2: 30 minutes – $70
Follow-up consultation: (subsequent or review consult if required) Physio: 30 minutes – $70
Home + studio program development (60min – Cost $130)*
Individualised home & studio exercise programs prescribed in accordance with your needs and stage of rehabilitation. This involves a combination of weight bearing, Pilates and gym equipment exercises. Depending on your personal circumstances, further appointments may be required.
Supervised group exercise (12 x 60min – Cost $252) *
Attending our exercise studio for supervised group exercise will reinforce correct technique, improve motivation & allow optimal progression of exercise.
Attendance either twice per week for 6 weeks, or once weekly for 12 weeks. All classes are supervised by an EP or PT. You are monitored and guided in each class & progressions are made as you go. Review and re-assessment at 6-12 weeks.
Home program development (60min – Cost $130)*
Depending on your phase of rehabilitation and needs, a tailored home program can be prescribed. You will receive a printout of your exercises with pictures and detailed descriptions to help exercise performance & technique when unsupervised. Equipment you have at home will be used where possible [e.g. weights, bikes, etc]. Review and re-assessment at 4-8 weeks. Depending on your personal circumstances, further appointments may be required.
Personal Training Session (45min – Cost $73)*
Memberships available – Bulk purchase discounts and cost saving memberships are available – speak to one of our team to find the best option for you.
Funding + Rebates
Please note that most private health insurance (PHI) funds cover Exercise Physiology and Physiotherapy services – *please check with your PHI fund for specifics of your policy and the rebate you are entitled to. All of our studios have a HICAPS machine for on the spot rebate claiming. Ask us about your eligibility for Dept. of Vet Affiars (DVA) or Medicare [EPC or Diabetes care plan] funding/ rebates++. Bulk purchase discounts and cost saving memberships are available – speak to one of our team to find the best option for you.
No doctor’s referral is required for private patients. A doctor’s referral is required for eligible services under Medicare’s EPC or Diabetes Care Plan.
High Intensity Interval Training:
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a time efficient way to induce rapid changes in exercise capacity and fitness, particularly for cardiorespiratory fitness + weight management. The role of HIIT has long been utilised and appreciated by elite, endurance athletes as a part of their comprehensive training programs. HIIT has the capacity to dramatically improve aerobic exercise performance, even when overall training volumes are kept low. Despite lower time commitments and overall reduced exercise volume, HIIT stimulates physiological adaptations similar, or superior, to those engaging in moderate-intensity continuous training. High intensity training may be your solution to optimal fitness if lack of time remains a barrier to regular exercise participation and improved fitness. Numerous health & fitness benefits are associated with HIIT training, including:
- Significant increase in both aerobic and anaerobic fitness (Increase in VO2 Max; Reduced rate of lactate production at matched workload; Improved time to exhaustion tests)
- Improved cardiometabolic health outcomes (Enhanced skeletal muscle fat oxidation; Improved glucose tolerance; Lowered insulin resistance)
- Reduced subcutaneous & abdominal body fat, potentially more effective in comparison to other forms of exercise
Endurance (aerobic) training:
Endurance (aerobic) training has been shown to improve your cardiorespiratory fitness, stamina and weight management. It keeps your heart, lungs and circulatory system healthy and improves your overall health and fitness. Endurance exercise includes activities that increase your breathing and heart rate such as walking, jogging, swimming, rowing, dancing and cycling.
The Pilates method:
Pilates is a unique method of body conditioning that integrates motor control, motor learning, breathing, flexibility, strength training and body awareness. It helps develop powerful core muscles – in particular the abdomen, back and buttocks – that assist postural alignment and help to keep the body supported and balanced. It is a form of exercise that emphasizes the balanced development of the body through core strength, flexibility, balance, proprioception and awareness to support efficient, graceful movement. This form of exercise was developed by Joseph Pilates and is also known as the Pilates Method.
Plyometric training is a great way for athletes to build explosive power. Performing plyometrics one to three times a week can increase your vertical jump and improve your speed and strength. The gains athletes make from plyometric training can directly translate to better performance on the field.
Flexibility (mobility) training:
Flexibility exercises stretch your muscles and can help your body stay supple & flexible. Being flexible gives you more freedom of movement for other exercise and for your everyday activities. It may also help you avoid discomfort when moving or sitting.
Weight training (resistance training):
Muscular strength development is a multi-dimensional fitness component that is influenced by a combination of muscular, neural and biomechanical factors. Strength or resistance training programs have been shown to be effective for gaining lean muscle mass, weight loss, and improving athletic performance and can target all major muscle groups.
Strength training and lean muscle mass:
Building lean muscle is a key aim of strength or resistance training. However, stronger muscle doesn’t necessarily get bigger or bulkier. The effect of strength training is to improve efficiency of movement and the efficiency of neural connections. Stronger lean muscle allows joints to have more support, more lifting and carrying capacity and better endurance. As a result, movement becomes easier as our muscles can better support us and our joints. This decreases joint degeneration, pain with movement and the time it takes to get moving.
Lean muscle mass…. the key to your metabolism! The amount of energy your body consumes at rest (i.e. your metabolic rate) is heavily influenced by the amount of lean muscle tissue in your body. As a result, if you increase the amount and quality of muscle mass you have in your body (even slightly), you can cause a pretty substantial increase in your body’s metabolism. So, a poorly understood, but key benefit of strength or resistance training is an increase in our metabolic rate or how much energy we burn. Muscle is great at burning fuel, even during rest! In short, more lean muscle means you will burn more energy every single day, irrespective of any exercise that you may be doing. That’s why the more muscle we have, the easier it is to lose weight. Resistance training allows us to take advantage of all aspects of fitness – strength, cardiovascular, balance, neurological, power, functional fitness, and it makes you feel good. It is suggested that strength training be performed 2-3 times per week to take advantage of these benefits.
Benefits of exercise / physical activity
In addition to the specific benefits from each type of exercise outlined above, all forms of exercise have been shown to contribute to improvements in your energy levels, your sleeping patterns, your mood and your overall health and fitness, including lifetime health outcomes. People who get the recommended regular physical activity or exercise can reduce the risk of many diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Download << Aim EP OPTIMAL Health + FITNESS program – Jan 2019 Information sheet >>.